Wednesday 24 May 2017

13 reasons why being your own #WCW is not self-love


Having a crush on yourself is at least a little conceited, no?

You little narcissist, #WCW as I understand it, is a way to recognize and celebrate girls and women in your life that you admire and respect. Everything does not have to be about you ok?

Not-so-subtle bragging… I mean many times when a girl is her own #WCW, she is most likely showing off a little Chanel or Gucci in the “corner”. But she sprinkles the little #WCW like salt bae at the end of her “God is so great to me” or “I make my own money” caption and suddenly, everything is all peachy again… or at least, it is in her head.

You don’t need a reason to post a cute pic… I mean ain’t nobody trying to know your whole life story because of one small picture. Just post it and go.

You don’t need a reason to post a sexy pic… end of.

It is the same people who are their own #WCW that also claim to be “girl bosses”. Always giving you tips and unsolicited advice. And I feel like I should point out that I am not bitter or anything and I don't knock anyone’s hustle and at the end of the day, it is your own damn Instagram page. But I mean, it can get really annoying and sometimes the tone can be quite patronizing and condescending and slowly, you look more like a know-it-all than anything else.



Trying too hard to prove that you are “gucci” - You know that picture you take when you have just stopped being friends with someone or you have just broken up with your boyfriend, yeah? The “I can do bad all by myself” one. The one that reeks of desperation… yeah, that one. I mean it is alright to be lonely or be sad or feel pain. There is no need to keep up appearances on social media, if nothing else, it is extremely exhausting.

We know you have been going to the gym. Well… if you are like me, this one only truly annoys you because you know you want that body, but you are just too damn lazy but I mean it is still annoying, so yeah, it makes it to this list.

The #WCW “group picture”. You know the one where you got that angle just right but everyone else looks like descendants of Jafar from Aladdin. You caption the picture “only winners in my circle” or “all my girls are getting it” but you know damn well that you are the only one who looks like they are getting anything. Needless to say, if the only way you feel like you can look good is to make everyone else look bad, then there is something fundamentally wrong.

The #WCW “celebrity picture”. You know the one you take with a really cool female celebrity. See, the picture itself I am sure is totally innocent, however, when you leave an “it was nice seeing you again” or “amazing catching up with you babe” or “She’s just such an amazing friend” caption, it turns sour because baby boo, you are name-dropping and nobody likes a name dropper.

The #WCW “I woke up like this” picture. The one where you are wearing little to no makeup and you are in sweats with your hair tied up. You convince yourself that you are being vulnerable and showing your followers that it is ok to not look amazing all the time. But in actual fact, if we are all being honest, you know damn well, you look good and you are just fishing for compliments, which I can’t think of anything more annoying.

Being your own #WCW is just another way we convince ourselves that we are special and invincible. We live in a time where we are constantly told that we are special and invincible and magical. So, being your own #WCW is just another way to perpetuate the status quo and make you feel justified in your vanity. It is same reason Kim Kardashian can post a naked picture on Instagram and all the rhetoric around it be about “self love” and “self acceptance”.

SELF-love should be for you, posting it on social media isn’t. If you have an active social media account, then you know that most of your posts are for your followers. Which wanting validation and acceptance from other people is not bad, in fact, it is human. What I do not agree with is being dependent on it. The longevity of self-love is dependent on one’s ability to reflect their self-love and acceptance to their followers and not the ability to see yourself through other people’s eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment